Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Ma and Pa painting


I thought I would show you the progression of a recent painting.  I've seen other artists videotape themselves while creating a painting so I thought I'd try it, using still photos since I don't have a camcorder.  The following painting is 24" tall by 18" wide, done in oil on canvas.



Here is the very loose indication of the figures' general size and pose.  From here I will continue to redraw and refine the shapes to make them more specific and careful.



The way I like to paint I tone (spread a thin layer of paint) the whole canvas and then use a rag to lift out the light shapes.  This method requires working fast and completing the lightest areas in one sitting.



Here I add shapes and values in the background.  For some reason my students usually like to put this part off until the last minute.  So, practicing what I preach, I try to get to the handcart and distant trees fairly early in the process.



Having never stopped to periodically take photos of a painting while I work, I later realized that the progression is a bit uneven between photos.  Especially in the beginning I find that I'm too busy concentrating to stop.  The most detrimental mistakes are made in the beginning so I try to work carefully and continuously.



Here I begin to put more detail in the cowboy's pants and rope as well as the cast shadows in the grass.



At this point I am adding definition to the woman's clothing and hair.  You may or may not have noticed the overall color shift - I did.  This is because I was losing natural daylight and relying more on my studio light. This painting was done in under two hours, and it's amazing how much the light changes in a short time.



This is the painting as it sits in my studio today.  I haven't decided whether I want to paint over it in full color or keep it this sepia look.  There are several areas that still need attention, but it's a start. 


8 comments:

Raegan said...

Very cool! The process is so fascinating to me.

Anonymous said...

Amy, you are amazing! You have been blessed with a talent. You were also blessed with patience. I don't think I could sit still and concentrate that long.
Denette

Heidi Keller said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Ditto to what Denette said. It is really cool to see the painting come together.

Heidi

Sunflower-6 said...

You are amazing. I have always been fascinated with your talent of art.

J+S said...

Wonderful!! I think you should leave it in sepia, but what do I know? :)

Anonymous said...

That is simply amazing. I wish that you lived closer. I would pay you to teach Lindsay.

Rosalyn

The Miz said...

That is amazing to see the progression of a painting. You are so talented. You got the Brady art gene in ya. I'm not sure who it came from Grandma or Grandpa.
Rebecca