Monday, March 22, 2010

I Love Springtime!


This weekend was beautiful weather - great for planting and hot air balloons.  We have noticed balloon pilots have been out more during the cool mornings and clear days we have had.  This balloon was new to me - it has an interesting metallic gold in the design which made it stand out even more in the sky.  It floated near our home for a while and then landed in a neighborhood down the street.  Naturally, the kids in the area flocked to see it up close.  I have never been in a hot air balloon myself; I used to have nightmares about them.  Maybe someday. 

I ordered some vegetable seeds this year and Saturday I planted them in a mini-greenhouse tray.  Last year I grew some large bottle gourds from seed.  Now I'm trying to grow some small gourds called goblin eggs, a mix of large gourds, pumpkins and watermelons.  For the first time I am trying to grow heirloom tomatoes, one called Big Rainbow and one called Sweet Tangerine.  I also planted a hot pepper mix, sweet pepper mix, and a Chocolate Cherry tomato.  When the ground is ready, which is still a week or two away,  I am going to put in some sugar snap peas and spinach.  When I went to a local store to get some seed starter trays, they had pansies with huge blossoms and also some intensely bright primroses.  I couldn't pass them up, probably because I am so eager for the change of season.  This is a photo of the primroses, the coral colored one is my favorite.   I planted them in a shady spot next to our front steps.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so ready for flowers. How well do the primroses do in the summer, or are they only a spring flower? They look awesome. That is what I like about spring, the color.

Denette